Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Phi Theta Kappa (PTK) is an internationally recognized honor society for community college students. Since 1929, it has been the official honor society for two-year colleges, as recognized by the American Association of Community Colleges, and has over 1,300 chapters across 11 nations. Founded in 1918, PTK was established to give recognition to community college students with excellent scholarship and character and has maintained fidelity to its founders' commitment to provide enrichment in four hallmarks: Scholarship, Leadership, Service, and Fellowship.
Why join Phi Theta Kappa?
Students who participate in PTK have access to such benefits as:
- Up to $90 million in scholarships available to help students complete their degrees.
- Access to $46 million in transfer scholarships for universities and four-year colleges across the country.
- Leadership and service experience to boost your resume.
- Career training and guidance for transferring to universities.
- Complete a minimum of 12 hours of college-level coursework at HCC.
- Obtain a cumulative grade point average of 3.50.
**Membership is by Invitation Only.**
1. In the following semester of achieving an eligible GPA of 3.5, you will receive an invitation from PTK Headquarters. Please be sure to watch your HCC student email.
- Upon successfully achieving a 3.5 GPA:
- in a Fall semester, you will receive your invite no later than mid-September and must join by December 31st.
- in a Spring semester, you will receive your invite no later than mid-February and must join by May 31st.
- in a Summer semester, you will receive your invite no later than mid-June and must join by August 31st.
2. Follow the instructions from the invite letter you receive from PTK Headquarters.
- Go to join.PTK.org.
- Enter your unique invitation passcode or enter the email address where your invitation was received. Your invitation will come to your HCC student email, so make sure you check it regularly.
- Complete the form and create your login.
3. If you miss the join due date, please contact your advisor to determine current eligibility.
4. Your information will automatically be provided to the Pi Theta Chapter at Hagerstown Community College!
5. There is a one time membership fee of $75, to be paid online through PTK.org. Deadlines for submitting payment are:
- Fall Semester: December 31st.
- Spring Semester: May 31st.
- Summer Semester: August 31st.
- Gain access to scholarships only available to PTK members.
- Apply for scholarships to help fund your associate's degree, bachelor's degree, or even master's degree.
- Some scholarships are specifically available for PTK members only, and can be used to help students transfer to 4-year colleges or universities. You can search by state to find which colleges offer PTK transfer scholarships.
- Earn the privilege to wear blue and gold honor cords, gold tassels on mortar boards and gold stoles at graduation.
- Receive a PTK Golden Key Membership Pin and Certificate.
- Get access to admission advisors who can help make the transfer to a four-year college or university easier.
- Login to PTK Connect and search for transfer friendly four-year colleges and universities, and find scholarships exclusive for PTK members.
Career Training and Leadership Opportunities
- Learn desirable leadership skills by participating in chapter projects or taking an officer position.
- Free access to PTK custom, nationally recognized Leadership Development Studies curriculum.
- Earn discounts and special offers for your membership:
- Bank of America
- Enterprise and National
- Hurst Review Services
MD Voter Registration